Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ah, It starts so young

Today I was thinking about "marrying" and "going out" and "having a crush" for kindergarteners. I remember being a Kindergartener, sorta. I had a "crush" on a boy named Samuel, Sam for short (some things never change). I cannot remember what he looks like, but he surely cannot have been good-looking. This was kindergarten, after all.
Today, a boy in my class had said he got "married" in kindergarten. Upon being asked who his wife was, he answered "I dunno, there were lots". And it's true! When you're in kindergarten, you pretend to hate guys, then pretend you've kissed loads of them and who knows what other dememented shit. The sad thing, it is only the beginning.
On my bus, there are 4 or 5 kindergarteners. One of them is a boy named Hayden. He's cool. Ironically (or maybe not so ironically) his Reading Buddy is the boy from the story above. Anyways. Another of these Kindies is Haley Gray. Might I also note there is only one kindergarten class, and these kids go from being best friends to hated enemies every day.
Hayden was talking with a boy named Connor. Connor is one of Haley Gray's numerous older siblings. I think he's in Grade One. Connor and Hayden were talking about Star Wars (I think) and Hayden was being "Yoga". Not Yoda, Yoga.
During this, Connor told Haley Gray (there are three Haleys on our bus), that Hayden wanted to "go out" with her. I don't know if this is true or not, but Hayden had simply no idea Connor was announcing it.
Haley Gray got mad at them and said they were mean for talking about her.
Hayden was confused. Understandably.
And I thought: wait 'til they're twelve, or fifteen, or twenty.
'Cause if they have relationship problems now...
Wow.

1 comment: